The information below is provided as a free service to our members and
quests. Use the information at your own risk. 5 Star Support will not be
responsible for damage to hardware or software as a result of using these
What is SpywareQuake?:
SpywareQuake is a fake anti-spyware program that automatically loads a
Trojan virus into a users computer system. This Trojan is programmed to
issue false popup virus alerts in an effort to panic users into purchasing
the program. See illustration below.
<>Programs needed to remove SpywareQuake:
*Spybot Search and Destroy
*Ewido AntiMalware Scan
*online update required
<>Download The Removal Programs:
Note: Be sure to print these instructions so that you will have them for
reference when offline.
Using the supplied links (above), download and update all of the required
programs to your Desktop. Be sure that you update each of them (if
applicable) before starting on the next. Please do not use any of the
programs at this point. Download and update...that's all!
Note: If you've already installed any of the listed programs on your
computer, be sure that you have the latest version installed.
<>Start Using The Downloaded Programs:
- Find SmitRem on your desktop and double-click the file.
- Then, click Start to extract the files to its own folder.
That's all for now with this program.
- Find "roguescanfix.exe" on your desktop.
- Double click the file to install it to your computer. A folder called:
"roguescanfix" will now be created.
- Double click on the roguescanfix folder. This will create a file called:
- Double click the Run.bat file. It will now access the Internet to
retrieve a necessary tool. If your firewall prompts you of this activity,
simply allow the program to access the Internet.
- Once the Run.bat program starts, your desktop will disappear and the
program will begin the uninstallation process of the SpywareQuake program.
At this point, follow the onscreen prompts.
- Once the program has been deleted and you've received a "Completed Script
Execution" message, click OK. This will now open the Brute Uninstaller
program. From here, press the Exit button.
- the program asks you to reboot your computer, go ahead an do so at this
Boot your computer into SafeMode, here's how:
Reboot your system. Once you hear a single beep during the startup process,
begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you receive an onscreen
menu. Select option #1 which should be SafeMode.
Back to SmitRem:
- Once in SafeMode, open the SmitRem folder on your desktop
- Double click the RunThis.bat file. The program will now start.
- Follow the onscreen prompts
- Once the program has completed, it will create a log named: smitfiles.txt
and will be located in the root directory of your hard drive (usually C:\).
A qualified expert may need to see the contents of this file at a later
SpyBot Search and Destroy:
- While still in SafeMode, find the SpyBot S&D program that you've
downloaded and updated earlier.
- Run SpyBot and let it fix any problems that it may find. If you need
instructions for using SpyBot S&D, you will find a tutorial
- Once the problems are fixed, close SpyBot S&D.
Ewido Security Suite:
- While still in SafeMode, find Ewido that you've downloaded and updated
earlier on your desktop.
- Run ewido and let it fix any problems that it may find. If you need
instructions for using Ewido, you will find them
- Once Ewido has finished, please be sure to save the log file in case a
qualified expert would like to view it.
- Exit Ewido and reboot your computer back to Normal Mode.
Panda Active Scan:
- Click the Panda Active Scan link above.
- Click the "Scan your PC" button
- Perform a full system scan and be sure to save the ActiveScan log when it
- Double-click the HijackThis icon on your desktop.
- Select "Do a system scan and save logfile".
Warning: Please be sure that a qualified HJT expert reviews this log and
instructs which entries need to be removed. Removing entries on your own can
have serious adverse effects on your computers operating system. For complete
instructions on using HiJackThis and how to create a New Topic at the 5 Star
Support Forums, please visit
Posting a New Topic:
Once you have created a New Topic at the 5 Star Support Forums. Post the
following logs into the newly created thread:
- The contents of the C:\smitfiles.txt log
- The Ewido Security Suite log
- The Spybot S&D log
- The HiJackThis log
One of our Security Experts will review your logs and give you further
Thank you for using 5 Star Support!